Wednesday, March 5, 2008


Tonight was our ward Relief Society Celebration! 
It was super fun, I played the roll of Eliza R. Snow.
My neighbor is an amazing pioneer time period
costume designer. I wore a huge hoop skirt,
lots of pedicoats (sp?) and bloomers! Whew!
It was so much fun, and secretly I didn't want to take it off. 
Secretly, my whole life I have wanted to be a pioneer.
I loved wearing this dress, silly, I know but it was 
so much fun!
Also, I was thinking about the Relief Society! Isn't it 
amazing that it is the largest and longest lasting
women's group in the world. Wow what an opportunity
to serve, we have!!! 
It makes me think about how often I complain about
something or think how hard it is to want to scrub
my kitchen floor. And then I think about the pioneers
who didn't even have floors! Shessh!
But also I was thinking about the amazing ability we
have to serve in the church and our communities!
If you think about it, there is no other organization
in the world where women have the opportunities
that we have. It is amazing!
Last week I went to Time Out for women, put on by
Dessert Book,  and heard Sheri Dew speak. She 
talked about as women, our sphere of influence for 
good is HUGE. She said that it was so much greater than we 
realize. Think about being a mother, who has greater 
influence over her children, think of a wife, who has
 greater influence over her husband, think about your
sisters, aunts, YW leaders, RS presidents and other 
women who have influenced your life for good. 
I am grateful for so many wonderful examples to 
follow. So for now I will just have to try to have
a pioneer spirit in our day and be grateful for 
those wonderful influences of good in my life and 
the opportunity I have to bless others. Hurray!

2 comments:

Rachel Holloway said...

YOU LOOK AWESOME--and really, secretly, I have always pictured you being from that time period--you just are so bright and cheery and are the kind of gal that could walk thousands of miles with blisters, in the cold and never once complain...and STILL have cute hair! :) Thanks for your special thoughts...I love reading them.

Sarah and Adam said...

You are the cutest pioneer I ever did see. I remember playing Oregon Trail back in the day, even then I remember your love for pioneers! Glad you had fun dressing up!